Thursday, June 21, 2018

Travel Healthy


Traveling is stressful for me:  getting to the airport on time, going through security check, sitting on the plane next to a fussy baby.

And if I am traveling for work there is added stress: preparing for a presentation, making a good first impression with colleagues, providing training to others and getting around a new area.

To reduce stress I plan ahead, make a schedule, and research the area.  But there are always stressful situations that come up.

I have taken several business trips where I have not been in top form.  I have sat in a conference room 800 miles from home and could barely stay awake.  Also when I was participating in a scale-up in a manufacturing plant I was listless and feeling blah.

Guess what?  For both situations I can blame my diet and sleep quality while on the trip.  I had several unhealthy meals and did not exercise for 4-5 days.

The added stress due to travel and being away from home contributed to my low energy.  Diet, exercise and sleep are very important to manage stress.  Stress Management Link

After these experiences I take steps to make sure I feel just as energetic and enthusiastic when I am away from home as compared to when I am home.

During my trips I focus on eating healthy, exercising and sleeping well.  It takes extra effort but the results are worth it.

I mentally psych myself up before a trip and let myself know that my diet will be restricted and that exercise is a top priority.  I can eat ice-cream and Tositios when I get home.

I always bring snacks on my trip: nuts, hummus, protein bars or beef jerky.  I also put a couple of water bottles into my luggage so that I have water in the hotel room (and a bottle I can reuse if needed).  I pack my bathing suit and running shoes.

Diet
Diet can contribute to increasing or decreasing stress levels, and impact sleep quality.

Some foods can provide comfort and increase the levels of hormones in the body that naturally fight stress.     

Foods that reduce stress include oatmeal, yogurt, blueberries, turkey, milk, fish and leafy green vegetables.  List of foods to reduce stress

Foods that are not good for stress include:  processed foods, white flour products, alcohol, caffeine, sugar.  List of foods that are not good for stress

Chose your meals carefully while traveling:
Do not order two Cosmos, sausage penne and a piece of chocolate cake.  Instead drink water and order salad and fish.  Do not eat any processed sauces or bread from the bread basket.

If you are hungry when you get back to your hotel room eat nuts (packed for your trip) or an apple (saved from the hotel breakfast buffet).

For breakfast have oatmeal and yogurt or scrambled eggs.  Stay away from the carbs - pastries, bagels and donuts.

Exercise
Exercise is a priority when traveling to manage stress and ensure sleep quality.

Traveling can make it harder to be active but it is very important to exercise when feeling stressed.  Physical activity releases endorphins and reduces adrenaline and cortisol levels which helps to reduce mental stress.

The concierge can provide a map for walking/running near the hotel.

If the hotel is not located in a safe area for pedestrians you can check out the fitness room.  Most hotels have fitness rooms with a treadmill and weights.

Some hotels have a pool where you could swim laps.

If the hotel does not have any of these options you could walk up and down the stairs for 30 minutes.  All hotels have stairways in case of fire.  You can do sit-ups and jumping jacks in your room.

Sleep
The amount and quality of sleep is crucial to your well-being.  A slight deprivation or poor sleep can affect memory, judgement and mood.

Skipping sleep impairs your brain function across the board.  It slows your ability to process information and problem solve, kills your creativity, and increases your stress levels and emotional reactivity.

Both diet and exercise can impact the quality of your sleep.  Diet impacts sleep Exercise impacts sleep   If you eat healthy and exercise while you are traveling you should be able to sleep well.

Take care of yourself while traveling!  Plan ahead, pack snacks and water, eat healthy, exercise and go to bed on time while at a temporary location.  You will feel energetic and enthusiastic and your trip will be successful.

1 comment:

  1. Westin Hotels will lend out shoes and clothes for exercise, have awesome fitness rooms and offer Peloton cycling classes.

    ReplyDelete