Thursday, September 13, 2018

10 Reasons to Spin




A spinning class is a great way to exercise.  Here are ten reasons to give it a try:
  • It is high intensity and burns 300 - 500 kcal per hour
  • Each person can spin at their own fitness level
  • Strengthens muscles in lower body 
  • Improves back and hip muscles
  • Strengthens core
  • All types of people spin: young, old, male and female
  • Standing while pedaling improves strength
  • Music keeps everyone energized and focused
  • Provides post-exercise feel good buzz
  • It is fun!
Spinnning is a form of exercise that focuses on endurance, strength, high intensity and recovery.  A special stationary exercise bicycle with a weighted flywheel is used.

One of the major advantages of indoor cycling is that each person can exactly control his/her level of intensity and fitness level but still remain as a group together.  


Spinning is a high-intensity cardio workout which is an effective and efficient way to burn calories.  A 60 minute spinning class will burn about 300 - 500 kcal.  Spinning strengthens the muscles of the lower body and tones the quadriceps and hamstrings.  It also works the back and hips and strengthens abdominal muscles.  

I have several friends who have attended spinning class for years.  They invited me to come along but I was always too intimidated to attend.  I was afraid I couldn't keep up and that I would be really sore afterwards.  

I ended up trying a spinning class last November.  During the first couple classes I was not able to do all the pedaling with the rest of the class but it was okay.  No one noticed so I was not self-conscious at all.  My behind was a little sore after the first two classes but by the third class it was fine.  

I was surprised to see that that there were all types of people at class:  young, old, male and female.  There were some people who wanted to lose weight, some who enjoyed socializing, and a couple of fitness fanatics who attend all classes at the studio.  Everyone was friendly and the instructor was encouraging and helpful.

At the end of class I felt great.  Sweaty but rejuvenated.  My stress from the day disappeared and I was invigorated for the rest of the evening.
  This is not surprising as high intensity exercise has been shown to reduce stress more than low-impact workouts.


After attending three classes I really started to enjoy it.  I got comfortable with standing while pedaling and started to use my weight to push down on the pedals.  The music was upbeat and energetic.  The other students and I built a rapport during class and I look forward to seeing them.  

I continued attending classes the rest of the fall and winter.  During the spring and summer I rode my bicycle but I am looking forward to attending spinning class again as the weather gets cold.  

You should give it a try.  It is a good workout and fun! 











No comments:

Post a Comment