Friday, September 28, 2018

10 Delicious Ways To Eat Frozen Vegetables


There is a common theme we are all hearing about:  Eat More Fruits and Vegetables.

Many diets (including DASH, Mediterranean, and Whole 30), the US government (USDA), and my doctor all recommend eating more fruits and vegetables.

Even though I like fruit and vegetables I do not typically eat four to five servings per day as recommended by the DASH diet.

I eat more fruit as compared to vegetables.  Fruit is easy.  Apples, bananas, peaches and pears do not require any preparation.  Vegetables are different.   Most vegetables need to be washed, chopped and cooked.

I have decided to increase the increase the amount of vegetables in my diet because they are so nutritious.  They have many nutrients, including potassium, dietary fiber, folate, vitamin A and vitamin C.  Vegetables are low in fat and calories and do not have cholesterol.  ChooseMyPlate.gov

In my effort to increase vegetables in my diet I don't really want to increase my time in the kitchen: cleaning, chopping and cooking. so I decided to investigate frozen vegetables.

I always thought that fresh vegetables were more nutritious than frozen vegetables.  But that is not necessarily true.  Typically vegetables are picked at peak ripeness and often frozen within hours, locking in nutrients and flavor.  Frozen foods retain their vitamins and minerals and there is no change in carbohydrate, protein or fat content.  In some cases, frozen foods have more vitamins and minerals as compared to fresh because fresh foods lose vitamins and minerals over time while freezing preserves nutrients.  Nutrition and Frozen Foods

When I went to Meijers to purchase the frozen vegetables I noticed they were having a sale.  Ten bags of frozen vegetables for 10 dollars.  One dollar per bag!  Wow!  The frozen vegetables had already been cleaned and prepared for steaming in the microwave.  Easy!

I made sure not to purchase frozen vegetables with any type of sauce   I bought only plain vegetables without any added salt or fat.

Given below are 10 easy and delicious ways to eat frozen vegetables:
  1. Add green peas to salad 
  2. Add corn to mashed potatoes and gravy 
  3. Mix parmesan cheese and butter with broccoli 
  4. Add curry powder to mixed vegetables Spices To Add to Mixed Vegetables
  5. Add broccoli and cheese to a baked potato
  6. Roast squash cubes with parmesan cheese and garlic powder  How to Roast Frozen Vegetables
  7. Mix feta and parsley with baby lima beans Lima Beans with Feta and Parsley
  8. Mix green beans with cooked pears Green Beans and Pears
  9. Make pea and feta fritters  Pea and Feta Fritters
  10. Make spinach artichoke dip  Spinach Artichoke Dip
Why don't you give your body a nutritious boost by adding a bag or two of frozen vegetables to your diet this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment