Thursday, August 2, 2018

It's a Beautiful Day For A Walk




















We've all heard that walking is good for you.  It lowers blood pressure, is often included in weight loss programs, and tones glutes and legs.

Although I enjoy activities such as running, swimming and biking I have noticed that walking provides additional benefits.  Walking strengthens my core and stretches out my muscles.

I am surprised that there are so many other benefits from walking that I wasn't aware of:

1.  Prevents cancer
2.  Controls diabetes
3.  Improves memory
4.  Improves mood
5.  Encourages creativity
6.  Helps with low back pain
7. Eases joint pain
8. Tames a sweet tooth
9.Boosts the immune system
10.  Fast walking burns more calories than running. A person walking at 6 mph (10 minutes per mile)  burns more calories than runners moving at 7 mph (8.5 minutes per mile)*.

During the summer months the weather is awesome in the midwest!  Now is the time to go for a walk.

There are benefits to walking at different times of the day.  It depends on your personal preference and daily schedule:
  • Walking at dawn is a great way to start the day.  The streets are empty, the birds are just starting to sing, and the sunrise is beautiful.
  • It is fun to walk during the day to enjoy the bustle and activity of other pedestrians.  There are typically lots of people to watch and greet.  
  • An evening walk is relaxing.  The sunset is peaceful and it feels good to stretch out stiff muscles from the day's activities.  

August is a great time to walk!  Take advantage of the nice weather and long days.

*Editors from Runner's World magazine, Everyday Health Tips for Runners, Rodale Press Inc., 1990, pp. 46.

1 comment:

  1. Since my back surgery, I cannot run at all. My doctor said walking was fine but running will not be part of my regiment ever again. Sometimes I’m jealous of friends and family members who can go for a 30 min run and feel they’ve completed a great work-out. I loved reading your statistic that walking can burn just as many or even more than running. Woo-hoo!

    ReplyDelete