Thursday, August 16, 2018

The Best Diet for You

Everyone I know has been on some type of diet.

Diets are important to evaluate what you are eating and to make improvements.  Before starting a diet emotional reasons for eating must be identified and stopped or a diet will not work.

Food should not be used to reward, comfort or punish yourself.  

I usually spend a week breaking myself of emotional eating habits before starting a diet.  It is hard for me to restrict / control what I eat when I am eating for emotional reasons.  For example, after I run a little farther than normal I tell myself I "earned" two cookies instead of one.  Also, when I am sad or upset I find myself eating without control to make myself feel better.

Over the years there has been a lot of interest in specific diets.  Recently it seems like Keto Diet and Whole30 are very popular.  I investigated these two diets to find out why they are so popular.

Keto Diet 
The Keto Diet is based on weight loss through fat-burning.  By reducing carbohydrates and filling up on fats the body enters the state of ketosis.  That's when the body breaks down both dietary and stored body fat.

Whole30  
Whole30 is a 30-day diet that emphasizes whole foods.  Sugar, alcohol, grains, legumes, soy and dairy are eliminated from the diet.



U.S. News, with input from a panel of health experts evaluated and ranked 40 diets.  The diets included Atkins, Weight Watchers, Keto Diet, HMR, Whole30 and many others.  Best Diets US News






The ratings were developed based on the diet being:
  • easy to follow
  • nutritious
  • safe
  • effective for weight loss
  • protective against diabetes and heart disease 
I was really surprised that neither Keto Diet nor Whole30 were one of the top 10.

The Keto Diet was ranked 39 out 40 because experts were concerned with a diet that combines unusually high fat plus really low carbohydrates.  There is even more concern for people with liver or kidney conditions.

Even though this diet was not ranked very high I noticed that Amazon sells many Keto Diet products: Keto ketone supplements, Keto Diet plans and Keto Diet cookbooks.  Green Chef will even deliver food based on a Keto Diet.  Green Chef Keto Diet food delivery

Whole30 was ranked 37 out of 40 because there have not been any studies that specifically look into the health impacts.  Dietitians agree with the emphasis on proteins, vegetable and unprocessed foods and the avoidance of sugars and alcohol, but they view the diet as too extreme.

Amazon also offers cookbooks and diet plans for Whole30.  Whole30 marinades and salad dressings are available for purchase.

Are these diets prevalent in social media because of advertising?

The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) tied with the Mediterranean diet for the highest ranked diets in the U.S. News Report.

Both diets are based on fruit and vegetables, whole grains, legumes and nuts.  Both diets also promote a long term change in eating style, rather than a fad or short term regime.

The DASH diet provides the number of servings of each type of food per day based on the number of calories that are desired.  I tried it for a while and it was easy to follow.  I ate a lot of fruits and vegetables but it was hard for me to restrict sweets...   

Each person has a different body, lifestyle and food preferences.  The best diet for you is whatever works.  Keto diet and Whole30 are extreme diets that could be a good way to monitor and control your diet to kick start a weight loss program.  The DASH and Mediterranean diets are an effective way to make long term diet changes.

NOTE:  
Be aware of Willpower during a diet.
The brain runs on glucose which is the blood sugar our bodies create from food.  When you are short on food, you're low on glucose - so you literally have less willpower when you are hungry the you do when you're full.  Small snacks the are part of your diet are very effective and will help with this.*

*Zinczenko, David, Goulding, Matt, Eat This Not That. Rodale Inc., 2012, pp. 218.


1 comment:

  1. enjoyed your blog!! I have practiced the keto diet, it works but takes alot of self control!!

    ReplyDelete