Monday, April 30, 2018

Make Sure Your Granola Bar is Healthy


Having more energy is important to me.  I am always interested in new “quick energy ” products that are being developed like supplements, beverages and bars. 

I really like bars:  granola, protein, breakfast, etc.  But I do not eat them because of the sugar content and the other ingredients that are added.  

For example, look at all the ingredients in the Nutra Grain Strawberry Soft Bar.  Have you ever heard of Niacinamide or Carrageenan??


































Ever since I started looking at the ingredients in a snack bar I have a hard time eating one.  In addition to not knowing what I am eating my body is sensitive to a lot of sugar.  It knows when I eat something with a lot of sugar.  The expression “you are what you eat” rings true for me.  For example when I eat a bowl of sugar cereal (Very Berry Cheerios) I get a head rush and a slight buzz.  It only lasts for twenty minutes or so and then I feel sluggish. 

Because I am a real person I still eat a lot of sugar cereal because I like it.  This is a conscious decision on my part.  But sometimes I don't want the head rush or sluggishness on long days or important events so I choose to eat healthy.  

This is a recipe for healthy granola.  I have been making it for years.  I love it!  I do not add the brown sugar (sometimes I add honey instead) and there are only 7 ingredients!

The recipe is from Oxygen magazine from 2014. https://www.oxygenmag.com/nutrition/almond-oat-granola-bars


1 comment:

  1. I love this recipe— thanks for posting. My kids like it too! We love to sprinkle it on top of Greek yogurt with fresh blueberries.

    ReplyDelete