Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Allergy Relief




I run on a treadmill all winter.  However, when the weather gets nice I run outdoors.

Once allergy season starts (when it is no longer freezing at night, the wind picks up and pollen comes out) I have a hard time breathing,  even though I am in good shape.  At home I struggle to run up the stairs.  It feels like my lungs are constricted.

I take medicine for my allergies.  My allergist also gave me a prescription inhaler for Exercise induced asthma.  I diligently inhaled it before running but it did not work.

I found out that I did not have Exercise induced asthma but Allergy induced asthma.  My friend who has asthma recommend the PROAIR HFA inhaler.  I discussed this with my doctor and he prescribed it for me.  It works great!  I am now able to run in the spring without gasping for air.

Although my allergy medicine helps with sinus headaches I was still miserable on windy days and when I spent several hours outdoors.

A couple of years ago I read an article in a newspaper that said that gluten can make sinus allergies worse.

Therefore I reduced gluten in my diet.  My headaches feel better.  Also, being gluten free I am eating healthier because I don't eat so much bread (which does not have many nutrients).  I eat more fruits and vegetables.

Not many people believe me when I tell them I maintain a gluten free diet for allergy relief.  Even my husband doesn't believe me when I tell him my nose immediately starts running when I eat a couple slices of pizza.

I have read several articles that confirm my personal experience with gluten.

The attached article says that "Gluten may trigger an exaggerated immune system response that causes the production of histamine in the sinus cavity".  https://www.livestrong.com/article/542319-gluten-nasal-congestion/

Another article recently came out that said that a good way to reduce allergy symptoms is to reduce gluten and dairy.   https://www.glutenfreeandmore.com/issues/4_39/All-Stuffed-Up-4319-1.html

And yet another article indicates that probiotics may help reduce allergy symptoms.  https://www.livescience.com/50723-probiotics-help-relieve-seasonal-allergies.html

I don't have a medical background to critique the articles but I know how I feel.

In summary it is very important to pay attention to what you eat and how you feel after eating.  You may find that your allergy symptoms feel better if you reduce gluten.  You could also try reducing dairy and taking probiotics.


2 comments:

  1. 5-23-2018 This site can be used to evaluate probiotics: www.USProbioticGuide.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I get enough probiotics in food or do I need to take a supplement?

    ReplyDelete