Sunday, May 6, 2018

Oatmeal Is The Secret to Reduce Cholesterol

 


I never liked oatmeal.  I don't like the texture.    

However, a couple of years ago my cholesterol was high (198 mg/dl).  Total cholesterol should be 124 -200 mg/dl.  This wasn't high enough for medication but it was high for someone like me who does not eat a lot of meat or eggs and is not overweight.  High cholesterol runs in my family and I knew I had to watch the level closely to keep it under control.

My doctor told me oatmeal is good at lowering cholesterol.  I figured this was because it was better for you as compared to eggs and bacon.

I tried oatmeal a number of ways:  instant, old fashioned, with milk, with sugar, with berries, baked, etc.  I ate it but did not really like it.

Then one day I mixed it raw with vanilla yogurt.  It was pretty good.  It reminded me of raw oatmeal cookie dough which I love.

I replaced the vanilla yogurt with plain nonfat greek yogurt to reduce the sugar and increase the protein.  I also added lots of fresh blueberries.  I like it prepared this way and so does my body.  After I eat it, I feel full and energized.

The best news of all is that when I had my checkup a year later my cholesterol was 144 mg/dl!

It must be due to eating oatmeal.  I did not change my diet, activity level or weight during that year.  I think there is something about oatmeal specifically that helps reduce cholesterol.

More good news about my breakfast:  The amount protein in oatmeal is 5 grams for 1/2 cup dry.   This is similar to the amount of protein in a handful of almonds (1/4 cup has 6 grams) or an egg (6 grams protein).  And when I add plain nonfat greek yogurt (1/2 cup is 13 g protein) my breakfast has more protein that what is in a hamburger (15 grams in one patty).

You should give it a try - maybe you will like it.





No comments:

Post a Comment