Saturday, May 19, 2018

Caffeine Free Life

Is it possible to live without caffeine?



I always thought the answer was no.  I did not think I could get up early and go to work every day.  I didn't think I could contribute and be energetic at work.  I thought emotionally I would feel blah and need a nap.

Well guess what?  I did it!  I do not drink diet coke, coffee or any other caffeinated drink.   I have been caffeine-free for three years and feel great!  I am still functioning with lots of energy.

My body feels better, not as achy.  I am more alert.  My mind is still going a mile a minute but I am able to focus.

I have noticed that now I can readily fall asleep in the car or on a lazy Sunday afternoon.  I could never do that before because my heart was always racing due to the caffeine.   I have also noticed that  I am more sensitive to caffeine, for example if I have a handful of chocolate chips I cannot sleep at night because my heart is racing.

Caffeine itself in coffee does not adversely impact your health at moderate consumption.  http://www.coffeescience.org/caffeine-coffee/

However, there are several types of caffeinated drinks that are not healthy.   Soda and coffee blends  have other ingredients like aspartame, sugar and sodium which are not heathy.  See table below: (based on 12 fl ounces)

Type of Drink Caffeine Aspartame Sugar Calories Sodium # of Ingredients
Mt. Dew
54 mg
No
46 grams
170
60 mg
10
Diet Coke
46 mg
Yes
0
0
40 mg
8
Starbucks Caramel Frappuccino Blended Coffee
75 mg
No
50 grams
315
188 mg
24
Starbucks Dark Roast Coffee
195 mg
No
0
5
10 mg
1

Aspartame has been linked to headaches, nausea and depression  https://www.prevention.com/food-nutrition/a20467118/aspartame-health-risks/

Sodum is also not good for our bodies.  It is probably one of the contributors to high blood pressure.  another-reason-to-skip-the-soda-high-blood-pressure

Why don't you try to go caffeine free?

You can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment