Thursday, May 31, 2018

Revisit Childhood Activities

I have noticed that the activities I liked to do as a child I also like to do as an adult.

My parents exposed me to many activities as a very young child. I went to swimming lessons, played at the park and went camping.

As I grew more independent I was able to chose how I spent my time with my friends.

In fourth grade I spent a lot of time in the woods with my best friend.  We explored the paths in the woods behind our neighborhood and built a teepee using fallen trees.  After school and all summer long we played in the woods - HIKING

From fourth grade to junior high my friends and I biked to Harper's Hardware and 7-11 for candy and slurpees - BIKING

I also played on a soccer team for many years.  I  wasn't very good at dribbling or passing the ball but I loved to run across the field chasing the ball  - RUNNING

During the summer of seventh grade I spent a lot of time swimming in my friend's pool. We played volleyball, raced each other swimming the length of the pool and lounged on a floatie - SWIMMING

When I was in high school during the winter we went to a skating rink on Friday nights and roller skated to music.   During a slow song I would skate with a boy holding hands - ROLLER BLADING

Today I still enjoy hiking, biking, running, swimming and roller blading.  If you are looking for a healthy activity you should think about what you enjoyed doing during your childhood.

Did you like to play tetherball in the playground?  If so, why don't you join a volleyball team?

What about gymnastics?  It seems like all the flexible people in my yoga and pilates classes mention that they did gymnastics as a child.

How about dance?  Did you take dance classes?  You could try Zumba or ball room dancing.

What about other activities:  basketball, tennis, golf, karate, rock climbing etc.?

Try it out again!

You might enjoy revisting activities you did as a child and it is a healthy way to spend your time.


No comments:

Post a Comment